Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Year in review: Movement and Friendship in 2010

 

January:

 

Cuba with Dr. Siri Brown.  I was honored to have experienced a trip to 3 different cities in Cuba: Havana, Trinidad and Santa Clara.  I traveled alongside 7 alongside seven African American women who embraced me as family, both politically and personally.  I was able to see visions that became the foundations for 2010. 

 

February:

 

Cuba Report Back.  I organized a very successful community gathering in my Queens, NY apartment.  Artist, activist, students and other individuals who were interested in listening to my experience in Cuba came out. 

 

March:

 

Excerpts of Universal Filipino performed at RDAC BX.  The first half of Universal Filipino was shared with a packed house.  Audience members were able to see theater in the form of an ancestral ritual to honor and bless the moment; speakers from the United Playaz; my student from Brooklyn shared his experience in gangs and prison; a special visual arts exhibition by Araya; and lastly, my collaborative performance with DJ soulcrates.

 

April:

 

Sulu DC.  DJ Soulcrates and I traveled to Washington DC to perform excerpts of Universal Filipino.  We featured with several other Asian Pacific American performance artists.    

 

May:

 

Asian/ Pacific Forum WBAI 99.5 FM.  I was interviewed and performed excerpts of Universal Filipino.

 

June:

 

World Premier of Universal Filipino at RDAC BX.  Co-directed by Yuisa Davila; Choreographed by Lia Mcpherson; and Sound Engineering by Tyson Dai aka DJ Soulcrates

 

July:

 

Smithsonian Folklife Festival, Washington DC.  DJ Soulcrates and I participated in the first collaboration between Sulu DC and the Smithsonian Folklife Festival.  The emphasis was to highlight Asian Pacific American performance artist.  We performed excerpts of Universal Filipino.

 

Fiesta del Fuego, Cuba.  I traveled back to Cuba for the second time this year.  This was an independently organized trip which focused primarily on music, arts and culture.

 

August:

 

Sulu NYC.  DJ Soulcrates and I performed a 30-minute excerpt of Universal Filipino at the Bowery Poetry Club.

 

Yale University.  I was one of the featured artist to share poetry with the Cultural Connections Freshman orientations.  I put back on my poetic hat and performed both old and new poems.

 

November:

 

Mr. Hyphen 2010.  I traveled back to California to compete for the crown of Mr. Hyphen 2010.  I participated in a talent portion and shared a scene from Universal Filipino; put on different fashion clothing designs from 2 established designers; answered questions relevant to the empowerment of Asian Pacific American communities.  As a result, I won 1st runner up.

 

CUNY Law School, Latin American Law Students Association.  I was the featured artist during the Fall annual event “Café Con Leche”.  In an act of true solidarity, DJ Soulcrates and I performed our 30-minute excerpt of Universal Filipino.

 

December:

 

Spoke at Columbia University Teacher College.  On a random Wednesday night, I was asked to share my experience as a teacher by Tsi Labrev, a United Playa/ educator from the Bronx.  It was a very special night because I am transitioning from teaching full time to focusing on my professional performance arts pathway. 

 

**Successfully completed a full year of teaching a young adult Pre-GED class with the Brooklyn Public Library.  I am blessed to have taught and learned from resilient young adults representing different areas of Brooklyn: Bushwick, Bed-Stuy and Sunset Park. 

 

***I look forward to touring my 2nd theater production “Universal Filipino” in 2011.  DJ Soulcrates and I will continue to rock crowds.  Lia Mcpherson and my brother, Kairi Bautista, will contribute with dance/ movement direction.  We will also incorporate lighting design to enhance “Universal Filipino’s” theatrical effects.  The purpose of the tour is to build cross cultural unity through the performance arts!

No comments:

Post a Comment