Friday, December 10, 2010

Sharing at Columbia University's Teacher College

Last night, Dec 9th, 2010, I shared my teaching experience at Columbia University's Teacher College.  The room was packed with 1st year graduate school students in the Masters of Education program.

I honestly was not expecting to end my night on such a high note.  I thought I was just going to support my brotha Tsi Labrev.  He was invited to share his teaching experience on a panel with 5 other teachers in New York City.  One of the speakers canceled and I was in the right place at the right time.  Tsi asked me if I wanted to share.  I was like "Hell yeah!"

Considering the present predicament I am in, a week away from being laid off from teaching Pre-GED literacy instruction for 17-24 year olds for the past 2 years, I took this as an opportunity to share my experience so that this work does not end in vain.  Rather I was able to share ideas and experiences with future teachers!

Dope right!  It has been an amazing journey fully building with my students for over two years in Brooklyn.  But every good thing must come to an end.  And since I have never been a yes-man, those in power always want to do away with anyone who is really doing work and not just pushing papers with the community.  

After 8 years of steady grinding as an educator from California to New York City, I am at the door of a new chapter in my life.  Dec 17th, 2010 will be my last day as a teacher in Brooklyn but it will also be the beginning of my full time commitment as a professional performance artist.

I am excited to launch a national tour of my new solo hip hop theater production entitled, "Universal Filipino" which includes a performance aspect, motivational talks, arts education workshops and humble yet committed movement building.... Watch out for Kilusan Bautista in 2011.....Coming soon to a theater near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment